Friday, March 11, 2011

Salted Oatmeal Cookies


My roommates mother sent a care package full of the best ginger bread cookies I have ever had. If I had the recipe for those cookies that is what I would be talking about right now. But I don't. Alas, those awesome ginger cookies set off the need in me. I had to have more cookies. So, after scouring my kitchen I gathered what supplies I had and decided that oatmeal cookies where what I had the ingredients for. That was such a good plan. These cookies are so freaking good that my boyfriend insisted between bites that I put the recipe up on this blog. Salty and sweet and oatmeal-y.

Ingredients:
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- Sea salt, for sprinkling

*I didn't have any brown sugar, so I used a cup of raw sugar and about a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses instead. This may have contributed to why these cookies were so sexydelicious.
Check out this Link for a guide on substituting white sugar and molasses for brown sugar. I used less than they recommend because I used blackstrap molasses.

Directions:
1. In the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter for a few minutes on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the sugars, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon, beating until the mixture is well blended. R
3. Reduce the speed to medium and add the eggs and vanilla extract, mixing until well incorporated.
4. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour and oats, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary and mixing just until they are incorporated.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough for at least an hour before baking.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Form the dough into golf ball-size balls (makes 18 cookies, make smaller balls for more cookies) and place about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle sea salt generously on top of each ball of dough, as you would sugar. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 15 minutes or until the cookies are puffed and beginning to turn golden, being careful not to overbake. (The cookies should have a tender interior.) Transfer the cookies, still on the parchment paper, to a wire rack to cool completely.

I don't have a stand mixer, I'm pretty sure I did all the mixing for this recipe with a fork. You don't really need fancy equipment. I also made my cookies smaller than "golf-ball" sized balls because I didn't want giant cookies at the end. Portion them however you like.



You can keep the cookie dough in the fridge for a few days and make cookies whenever you have the urge...

2 comments:

  1. Do you think old fashioned oats will work fine? I have "old fashioned" and "steel cut." I'm pretty sure old fashioned ARE rolled... whatever, I'm just going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the difference is between "old-fashioned" and "quick cook", and you definitely want old-fashioned NOT quick-cook. Mine said "old fashioned rolled oats"

    ReplyDelete